Early photograph of the west face of Castle Caldwell c.1870. It shows the Gothic-style renovations of 1792, including quatrefoil and pointed windows and battlemented pediment-gables.
The renovations also incorporate two square flankers of a bawn built in 1612 by the first Plantation settler, Francis Blennerhasset.
The man standing in the garden in the foreground is probably the owner of the house, John Caldwell Bloomfield, and seated in front of him are three women in Victorian attire and a young girl and child, presumably some of his family.
|J.C.Bloomfield was the main founder of the very successful Belleek Pottery. In1876, not long after this photograph was taken, J.C. Bloomfield became bankrupt and the estate was wound up. In the following year, the contents of the house, including artefacts from the museum created by Sir John Caldwell (d.1830), were sold at auction in Dublin.|
Print This Page