The old Castle Keep which originated in the early 15th century, now houses The Inniskillings Museum and the Fermanagh County Museum. The latter is also housed in a custom-built museum erected nearby by Fermanagh District Council in 1992.
The Inniskillings Museum
The museum’s collections relate mainly to the history of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and Dragoon Guards and include regimental uniforms, weapons, standards, badges, medals, engravings and photographs. In pride of place is the bugle sounded at the charge of the regiment in the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
Fermanagh County Museum
Run by Fermanagh District Council, this museum opened to the public in 1977. As well as a full programme of special exhibitions held throughout the year, it also exhibits award-winning displays about Fermanagh’s archaeology, history and wildlife and a number of audio-visual programmes. Fermanagh County Museum also provides a range of high quality, award-winning educational programmes covering topics such as art, the natural environment, life in early times, Vikings in Ireland, the 17th century Plantation, World War II, and life in the recent past.
Print This Page