|During the 1500's, the Maguires were noted patrons of poetry, music and learning.
It was a mainly peaceful time although this tranquillity was periodically interrupted by warfare with neighbouring clans from Counties Donegal, Tyrone and Cavan.
The blind poet Tadgh Dall O hUiginn painted an idyllic picture of the castle in the late sixteenth century. He wrote of the
‘fair castle, with its shining greensward…the white walled rampart amongst the blue hillocks’.
At the castle there were
‘poets and minstrels, satin-clad maidens weaving wondrous golden fringes, soldiers reclining, smiths preparing weapons’.
A chieftain entertained by harper & bard.
From Derricke’s Image of Ireland.
©Fermanagh County Museum.
Print This Page