Sir James Caldwell, from an Ayrshire family, purchased this estate by the shores of Lower Lough Erne in 1670.
Castle Caldwell was built next to the site of an earlier 17th century castle, 'Hasett's Fort'. The fort had been constructed by Francis Blennerhassett of Norfolk as part of the Ulster Plantation.
A descendant, another Sir James Caldwell, spent at least £16,000 in c.1778 renovating the house and transforming the surrounding estate into elaborately landscaped grounds.
Sir James Caldwell was also responsible for erecting a fiddle-shaped stone in memory of the fiddler, Denis McCabe.
In 1830 the estate passed through marriage to the Bloomfield family. John Caldwell Bloomfield co-founded the Belleek Pottery in 1857.
Photo of ruins of Castle Caldwell
Ruins of Castle Caldwell, © Fermanagh County Museum.
Image Ref: 02296